Some more fungi

These are a selection of fungi seen at Mulligan's Flat.  As with the insects the range of shapes and colours is most impressive.  Of course I only photographed the more interesting looking ones: there were thousands of other fruiting bodies which I didn't regard as remarkable.

This first example is "almost" a typical big "mushroom" shape.  While it has gills they are clearly not the pale pink of the Field Mushroom so I would not eat this.  The key rule is that if you are not certain that it is edible don't eat it!
 This next is - I think - a common variety Oudemansiella radicata or Rooting Shank.  The shank is a reference to a false root which goes into the ground.  To confuse the taxonomists this species is part of a group which includes Xerula australis and there is still debate whether they are separate species, despite being currently seen as different genera!
 The next is a nice collection of jelly fungi setting up home on a fallen tree.  I suspect they are Calocera sp.
 On the ground under the jellies was this remnant of Phallus rubicundus.  This typically grows on dead wood and it appeared that the mycelium was attacking a part of the fallen tree which had become embedded in the ground.  I have written more extensively about this species in other posts.   I am also working up a note for Fungimap Bulletin about the occurrence of this species in our area.
 The next style of fungus was very common at Mullies, as it is at our property.  I will take a very rough stab at it being some form of Cortinarius sp. - mainly because it doesn't seem quite right for an Amanita.  The pink cap is IMHO quite attractive!  I would certainly use the rule from my childhood in England: white gills = poisonous!

Comments

chez moi said…
Bonjour from France! Just thought I'd suggest that the lovely pink mushroom could be in the Russula family. I appreciate your prudence on edibility, though not all white-gilled mushrooms are poisonous - and the Russulas are a prime example. The trick is to learn who is who.

Good luck in your mushrooming, and thank you for sharing your photos.
MC
Flabmeister said…
Merci beaucoup! Some Finnish friends have also advised that in their country many sorts of fungi are edible.

The trouble is we don't know people who can give us the information, and my ID skills are not that refined so we will stick with prudence!

Martin

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.