Hanrahan rules OK?

For those not familiar with major landmarks in Australian culture I will extract below a few verses from "Said Hanrahan" by John O'Brien.(I commend both the link to the full text of the pome (sic) and the brief biography of the poet.)

"If rain don't come this month," said Dan,
  And cleared his throat to speak -
"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
  "If rain don't come this week."
And every creek a banker ran,
  And dams filled overtop;
"We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
  "If this rain doesn't stop."
"There'll be bush-fires for sure, me man,
  There will, without a doubt;
We'll all be rooned," said Hanrahan,
  "Before the year is out."

The point of this outbreak of literature is to set the scene for me commenting that we have probably had enough rain for a little while.  This comment has been occasioned by us being sufficiently recovered from jet lag to embark on a little work in the garden.

It is the easiest I have ever known to pull up weeds, if that is the sort of thing you enjoy doing.  My preference is digging the garden to get it ready for planting stuff.  There was certainly no difficulty in inserting the fork.  However, extracting it was somewhat trickier both due to the suction of the soil and its weight.  The 'clods dripped water when eventually raised.




I was reminded of the black soil plains of Tanzania. (The image was taken by Frances - I was driving the white car.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.