Monday, 8 December 2014

Many more rivers to cross

We have headed off for our final visit to Mallacoota for this year.  As a result of the recent storms we saw watercourses where I had never seen them before.  Some of the larger ones were considerably larger than usual.

The first River we crossed, after Queanbeyan of course, was the Numeralla.  Frances took these images as we passed over the bridge.  The first area is notmally dry.
This part of the riverbed is a permanent watercourse but usually atrickle not a torrent.
We passed through Cooma and out towards Nimmitabel.  The pylons continue to march forth like the aliens in War of the Worlds, and even out here water was lying all over the place.
After visiting Black Lake, where the major excitement was nesting Kestrels with both adults flying in to the nest hollow full of raucous chicks, we carried on to the Cathcart Rd as we had never done that stretch.  (The dozy wombat was no longer in evidence, but I reckon he didn't move himself.)

We found a pretty one lane bridge over the Coolumbooka River but couldn't stop as someone had given way and was waiting on the far side.  This image shows the flow.
Out the other side of Bombala a storm was evident as backdrop to this tin house.
Would it be waiting for us at the end of Imlay Rd?

At the beginning of Imlay Rd we crossed White Rock Creek which was in spate, in spades, so swung in tothe picnic area for a couple of photos.

Having stopped here we decided not to stop at our usual place, Imlay Creek, about 40km further down the road.  That resolution lasted until we crossed the Creek.
Here is a snap of the rock pool on the creek taken in September this year.
This is pretty much taken from the same position!
A parasol, rather than an umbrella, although it was spitting a bit!
Looking downstream.
We started on the flowers at this point.  Other than a 'lily', which nomination covers about 6 families under some taxonomies, I have no idea what this is!
These are Scaevola sp.
The Callistemon sp. at the edge of the pool are finished.
The Kunzea ambigua is in fine shape however.
We were surprised to find large amounts of forest material (mainly trunks of tree ferns) washed out into the road.  Good to see that the State Forests had a man out, on a Sunday afternoon, clearing the larger lumps out of the way.

After arriving and unloading the Pajero we went for a walk along the Inlet.  I liked the Little Black Cormorant honour guard for this pelican.
A bit further some fledgling Willie Wagtails posed nicely for a photo.  Note the buff, rather than white, eyebrow and wing bar.
As we got to our planned turning point the sky had got rather ominous and thunder was rumbling.  We were still dry when we got home but then the heavens opened.  Here is the "view" across the Inlet - you can just make out the far if you look carefully!
A rainbow appeared, after 20mm of rain in about 30 minutes.


sandra h said...

I think your blue lily might be a Dianella caerulea

Flabmeister said...

Thanks Sandra.

I did think it was a Dianella, but it seemed too small. However on reading about D. caerulea it seems very variable and could well fit the bill.