I'll take the Box

When I was a young lad there were two 'game' shows on British TV.  "Double your money" hosted by Hughie sGreen possibly had the higher intellectual content but I suspect "Take your pick" had the more fanatical audience encouraging people to "Take the Money" or "open the Box".  Today we focussed on the later, in that we relocated about 2/3rds of a friends English Box hedge.

That was because nuder the ACT Governments Mr Fluffy scheme their place is to be demolished and the hedge would be flattened anyway.  Here it is before the spades were wielded.
 This was the state of affairs when I had to say "enough".
I posted a week or so back about how much can fit into the back of a VW Jetta.  This is my Pajero reciting the Scots Play Act IV scene 1.
I am sure the Bard meant to say :
'Be lion-mettled, proud, and take no care who chafes, who frets, or where conspirers are. The Monk shall never vanquish'd be until great Birnam wood to high Carwoola  hill shall come against him.' 
There then followed a couple of hours of
  • blood (when a misaimed mattock blow caused me to whack a rock with my wrist), 
  • sweat (due to swinging the mattock without hitting a rock); and 
  • tears (when I realised that there were still about 30 plants to go).
But I ended up with a nice box proto-hedge around part of the garden.
Tomorrow we go back to capture the rest of the hedge.

That has been done.  Interestingly the ABC radio gardening program had featured another Mr Fluffy owner seeking advice on how to shift his box hedge.  The advice from Willo, the expert, was that it is impossible to treat box too harshly.  "Dig 'em up and dump 'em in!"

Here is the second installment out of the car ...
 ... and as installed.
The metrics:

  • First tranch..........107 plants over 21m
  • Second tranch........65 plants over 16m

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Maslins beach rules