Much natural action

The action in the natural history department kicked off this morning with the small dog displaying much interest in the Southern side of a Joycea pallida tussock.  This was undoubtedly due to the Shingleback lurking on the Northern side of the tussock.  Fortunately the two animals were kept apart.

I then toddled off for a run on Whiskers Creek Rd.  (My adviser reckons I need some spreed work over the next month.)  As I got down to the Creek I was aware that the thornbills were rather excited.   This reflected the visible presence of a large Red-bellied Black Snake on the edge of our drive.  Proving that I need the speed work, by the time I had rumbled back to the house and returned with my camera Joe Blake had shot through.

My next foray was to the Plain to check out the situation on the swamp.  This was essentially excellent as shown in the last few updating entries in my prior post.

As I returned over the creek I noticed that there were no signs of the snake, which is possibly why this Water Dragon was so relaxed.

Somewhat later I thought it was nicely warm and the wind wasn't strong so I would check the sun orchid situation.  None of the close ones were open - perhaps they did their dash last week? - but I did find this much larger example further up the block.  The initial image wasn't great so has been replaced by this, showing the whole spike.
Here is a closer shot of an individual flower.  I will try to ID it shortly, but note that it was a LOT larger larger than the other specimens seen here.  Perhaps Thelymitra nuda?
This example was considerably closer to the mauve end of the spectrum but I suspect is still T. peniculata.
Our hot-spot for Diuris semilunulata is putting on a magnificent display.
Finally here is today's Tawny Frogmouth snap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.