Odds and Ends

On Saturday morning's dog walk we saw a woman peering into a tree with a pair of binoculars.  So of course I asked her what she had got: the answer was Yellow-faced Honeyeater, which isn't greatly exciting.  She then said that there was a Nankeen Night Heron in the Foreshore Caravan Park (FCP) which is greatly exciting.

On getting home I took myself off to the FCP to look for the Heron and to find the water depth gauge.  Alas I found neither.

I was told that the Heron is usually around the boat moorings early in the morning so took myself off there on Sunday morning at about 0615.  Nice try but no cigar.

Back home and I found an interesting source of data about the local Wildlife as detailed in my wildlife blog.   I then put this to use in identifying the most common local skinks as  Lampropholis guichenoti .
 This one has obviously regrown its tail: to reverse the quote of Eric Morecambe "You can see the join!"
 While prowling for lizzids I noticed this grasshopper pretending to be a rock hopper.  I have concluded that Frances is correct and it is Atractomorpha sp
 In mid-afternoon I went down to the fishing jetty to assess the temperature of the water.  It was 22.5C.  While waiting for the thermometer to stabilise I got a couple of fair snaps of passing Pelicans.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.