More metal birds than feathered ones?

I drove to Merimbula yesterday to collect my bike from bike hospital.  I don't recall it being serviced while we lived in Carwoola so it was probably due!

I decided to take a look at Panboola Wetlands as I was passing.  This is the entrance off Bullara St in Pambula.
 A close up on the metal bird statue.
 The place is mainly quite dry, especially towards the race course.  I saw more of it than I intended as they have lots of mown paths but little in the way of signs.  When I eventually found the bird hide I regretted schlepping my telescope as it was of no use.
The reeds look to be a big problem through the Reserve.  An attempt has been made at Tips Billabong to trim them back but it seems to have reduced the height not the number of plants.  I think they are in big trouble (as is Kellys Swamp in Fyshwick),  There was a small patch of open water with a handful of ducks,
 There was also a modest (~1000 animals) fruit bat colony.
 After picking up the bike I found an interesting drive along the water of Boggy Creek at Merimbula (actually the outlet from Merimbula Lake).  More metal birds - there are several of these Pelicans.
 Also, on looking at the oyster beds more closely. lots of gulls and terns.
Going beyond them top the sand in the background were a good number (49) of Bar-tailed Godwits, earning a tick as Bird of the Day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.