Lighting up the sky

This is a set of photos that I took at each end of 19 February.

The ones of dawn are mainly included for the various forms of dark sunbeam, which I think are actually the shadows of the clouds.



 In the evening Frances happened to be looking out towards Mount Ainslie and saw the large moon arising.  Of course I had left my camera in the Jetta, 15 floors down, so the moon had risen a bit by the time I could take a photo.
There are two interesting bits in this.

  1. The spot of light low on the right is a plane just after take off from Canberra Airport.  I didn't think to check FlightRadar to work out where it was going!  
  2. There is also a dark spot directly above the summit of Mount Ainslie (almost at the edge of the cloud.  That is a fruit bat from the colony at Commonwealth Park.  (Again I don't know where it was going, but a friend who rescues the bats that get caught in netting etc says that they regularly turning up in Giralang - about 8km in a straight line from the roost.)

While all that was going on to the North East of the building there was a nice gradation of colour in the sky to the West.  Note the total lack of clouds!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.