Getting working

No, I haven't re-entered the slave sector.  I have however got a couple of bits of kit to work.

The most important of these is my weather station.  A key point with this, for assessing wind, is to make sure it is pointing North (this also gets the most grunt into the solar cells).   I used Google Earth to work out where North is:
By chance it is almost exactly Mt Imlay.  So I pointed the WS just a little to the right of Mount Imlay!
 Here is the overall site.  Probably a little sheltered from some winds, but it should collect the rain satisfactorily and I don't think heat radiating from the shed will be an issue. 
 Anyway I turned on the console and set it up and everything is happening!
 Obviously there is more calibration needed , but the comparison with a BoM site is quite reasonable.

  • Maximum temperature here 19.4C. BoM 19.5
  • Maximum gust here 33kph from WSW; BoM 50kph SSW

I had thought the BoM site was in the centre of the town,  but in fact it is in a cleared area out near the airport and thus much more exposed to wind!  It is marked in the next image with its coordinates while our place gets a red X.
The second item to get working was my fishing rod, purchased at Pickles in Eden yesterday.  They get a mention as the guy was very helpful in selling me the rod.  (It was a tad breezy there, and as I walked to the car with the new rod a local in the pub car park opined that with the wind behind me I should be able to cast to New Zealand.)

The Inlet is still very high, although the tide mark shows it has dropped a tad,
 Here is the rod pointing for action.
 These folk were very friendly and helpful.  I liked the terrier stuck down the jacket!
This was my only catch of the day.  The guy from the couple was very good in helping remove the eel  (serpent eel or sand snake-eel, Ophisurus serpensfrom my line.  It got itself so twisted round the line that it came off in two parts,
It got pretty cloudy after a while and I decided to beat a retreat before I got wet.

An interesting view today was that I can see it might get a bit time consuming to do things in Mallacoota .  At one place the receptionist looked at my name and asked if I was the guy that did the bird photos.  At another one of the ladies on the counter looked at my address and it turned out she owned a block across the road which we chatted about a bit.  Very pleasant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.