A Tawny Frogmouth chick emerges

It is now 13 days since I think the Tawny Frogmouth eggs hatched.  The chicks have quite wisely avoided what passes for Spring weather by lurking under Dad ever since.  On Thursday last at 20:00 I saw two chicks in the nest while both parents were elsewhere, presumably annoying frogs.

This morning for the first time I spotted a wriggler come out from under Dad.  There are distinct advantages to being able to see into the nest while sitting at my computer.
 As the distance - not to mention trying to snag an image through a window - is a bit of a challenge for my camera I went to sneak round closer to the nest.  If you know what you're looking at the shape of the chicks head is just visible in this image.
 That's a better snap.
On the morning of 25 October both chicks were sort-of visible under Dad.
I have outlined the two to make them more visible (I knew they were there as Ihave my telescope aimed at the nest).

Comments

We are deeply envious, we've not seen our tawnys for a couple of seasons now.

Thank you for the photos!

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Maslins beach rules