Things from eggs

I was trying to think of a common theme to link Straw-necked Ibis and Frogs.  I thought the fact that the former eats the latter was a rather unpleasant linkage (especially for the frogs) and thought I'd go to the other end of the life cycle.

Of course that is just a cover for me showing you a few snaps.

The ibis were encountered yesterday on my way back into Queanbeyan.  These birds have been almost absent from Canberra for the last few months but yesterday I found a flock of 63 feeding on the Turf farm in Fyshwick and a flock of 16 (if which these are a part) at the end of Sutton Rd.  In each image if expanded the 'straws' around the neck are clearly seen.  I thought these were a sign of breeding but I can not now find any evidence that this is so.

Mixing my families completely, I reckon the second from the left is doing a goose-step!
 This is the best set of straws.
It was only when I looked at this image that I realised 6 of the 7 birds were preening.  Presumably they had been feeding somewhere with a bunch of ants?
The frog (Lymnodynastes tasmaniensis) was found at home today.  As is often the case it was lurking under a water butt which I lifted to empty as I wanted to:

  • use the water with worm juice to fertilise our tomato plants; and 
  • remove about half the mass of the contents of the butt which was not in fact water but mosquito larvae.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.