The rain fell mainly in the plain (not)

The title of this post reflects a headline in one of our local papers dealing with the deluge of 5 February.  I added the word 'not' to update to the event I have been blathering about for the previous3 days where the rain has not stayed in the plain. 

Before getting to the rain in other parts the title is an obvious (hey, its the Bungendore Mirror, one cannot expect great nuances) reference to the song in My Fair Lady which as stated is an erroneous description of Iberian precipitation   This actually made me think about how the sentence would have been handled in "Let Stalk Strine". I suspect it would have been something like:
Rhine: rarely sighted precipitation rather than a river.  Attending a musical theatre performance in Sinny (qv)  you may find it alleged that "The Rhine in Spine sties minely on the pline".
For once Canberra seems to have scored rather more that the rural surrounds.  A friend (or at least close acquaintance) in Canberra captured 111mm  from Friday to Sunday while we totalled 89.  We have got another 13mm on 15 February putting our aggregate for the year equivalent to 3 July 2009!

Of course much of the rain which fell here has ended up passing off to Canberra.  The attached two images show the outflow from Scrivener Dam  and the flooded road on the way into Oaks Estate.
 

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Hi Martin
I hear various reports of Lake George on the Radio. Some say it is "Full" (which I very much doubt), and others say "some puddles", with "sheep standing in water".
It seems you are just inside the Molonglo catchment. I was hoping for a word on Lake George.
.
My brother in Narooma is boasting about being the wettest place in the State. A very transitory claim (today).
.
Cleared off here, at lunch time, and now it is windy, which will mean trees likely to come down, (with the soil so wet).
Cheers
Denis
Flabmeister said…
G'day Denis
I drove past the Lake as expected on 16/2 (couldn't stop as I had to get to Goulburn by noon). There were patches of water - a bit big to call puddles - spread across the Lake bed. It is possible they might dampen the top of a Black Swans feet, but I don't think they'd have to swim!

WRT to sheep, my experiences working on English farms would suggest this is ideal for an outbreak of foot diseases!

As it hadn't rained for about 24 hours that suggests to me that the topsoil at least is well saturated. If we get more rain before any serious heat then the Lake might start to get some non-ephemeral water in it.

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.