Birds around Fyshwick

That should be the click bait count up a bit!

On 16 October my birding began with a stop on the Monaro Highway as I passed the turf farm  An ebirder had reported seeing Sharp-tailed Sandpipers there so I thought it worth adding that species to my 2018 ACT list.  They were quite easy to see from the road and I took photos both with my Panasonic camera and by digiscoping with my iPhone.

The diagnostic chestnut crown is quite clear in these images.


 This one is proof that there were 4 birds present.
I then moved across to Kelly's Swamp hoping to see some Latham's Snipe.  Alas they were not evident.  This family of Black Swans were nice to see: 5 cygnets is not unusual as a start but I suspect a few of them will become metabolically challenged as time passes.
 I thought this cygnet's pose was very funny!
 I wandered on to the Fulica Hide hoping to see the famous Turquoise Parrot, but that seemed to have gone to join the snipe.  There was a good flock of Australian Pelicans further along the Creek.
 Also in the Creek was a school of very large European Carp making an enormous amount of splashing noise.  I presume they were mating or spawning (if the two processes are  different).

The exciting action was the installation of a security camera overlooking the car park.  This will be large boost to the area as it should reduce the number of cars broken into: one member of COG lost cameras etc worth $7000 and even if one's precious kit isn't stolen replacing broken windows isn't easy or cheap.

Apparently it is a 6 month trial - but I have now idea how the success or otherwise of the trial will be measured.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.