A few Tawny Frogmouths

On Sunday 21 October the male Tawny Frogmouth was a bit restless on the nest.  I usually take this as a sign of the eggs beginning to hatch.  He was VERY wriggly on Monday.  Taking Sunday as the start of the process it was a 27 day incubation period, whereas I have usually recorded 28 days.  In other words all in normal.

On Wednesday 24th I found some broken eggshell on the ground (a confirming physical sighting).  Today I actually sighted a chick  see red arrow in second digiscoped image below.

 A nest has to be maintained and here is Dad shuffling a few twigs around.

Comments

Peter Quinton said…
well spotted, that chick was near invisible. :) I think they may be starting to return out this way, after the local owls all died a couple of years ago (i suspect a poorly organized fox baiting program).

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.