Weather report for January Part 1

I have nominated this as part 1 since I now have 14 months of complete data in my data base and can begin doing some year on year comparisons.  However I haven't worked out how I want to handle that so will begin with the usual summary.

Rain

A pretty damp month overall, with the 116mm recorded in the month being the highest over the 8 years I have been recording.
Again, we scored a high rain rate in a thunderstorm on 5 January.
This seemed to have a high run-off impact with Whiskers Creek going over the drive for the first time in quite a while.

Temperatures

At some point in the month the Canberra Times had a headline asking "Where has Summer gone?".  I found this a tad strange since we had quite a few warm days with 9 maxima above 30oC.
Towards the end of the month maxima dropped to low 20s or less and the minima below 10oC.  We ended with 5 minima below that value. To quote the Sergeant in 'It ain't half hot Mum'  "Oh dear what a pity - never mind'.

Humidity

The most interesting feature (to me at any rate) is the number of days with a reading of around 30%  when it isn't actually raining.   The number of days in the latter part of the month with a fairly high reading shows the influence of the Easterly wind: although it didn't rain much then it must have got close!

An aside:  my visit count (as opposed to pages opened count) ticked past the landmark of 50,000 on 1st February.  Thank you all very much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Maslins beach rules