Dam! Dam! Dam!

On Thursday evening I went to dispose of some prawn shells in our bottom dam - yes, I know this is going to cause trouble for archaeologists in a few eons, but that is their problem - and noticed that the surface of the dam was covered with leaflets from Acacia dealbata and what looked Sulphur-crested Cockatoo feathers.  I can't think of other white birds in the area and no-one has been handing out awards for cowardice as far as I am aware.

So on the Friday I went to take some photos.  There were very few feathers.
 The A dealbata debris is noticeable as were a good crop of pond striders (Limnogonus luctuosus).  Unusually few of them seemed to be copulating.
 A eucalypt leaf seems to have provided a haven of last resort for a spider!
I wandered up the block and found that our smallest dam was still full, and doing a good job of reflecting the trees, but the Otellia was not flowering.
The top dam was also reflective
The surrounding vegetation was well endowed with insects, most of which didn't pose.  This Damselfly was an exception.
 A mantid egg case was found mixed in with a reed seed-head.
Particularly in the middle paddock the hills were alive with the squawks of Noisy Friarbirds.  My minimum estimate for 30 of the species, and several of them were - judging by the lack of bump on the bill - immature birds.
As there was no obvious blossom to attract them I have assumed they are contemplating moving on from the area.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.