More tales of Platypus and the Queanbeyan River

I have previously posted about watching for platypus from the suspension bridge over the Queanbeyan River.  I had a few minutes to spare in town today and took me camera with me.

On arriving at the bridge a lady was walking across pushing a pram with a small child in it.  Another lady was at the end of the bridge with
  • a camera; and
  • a blue-heeler cross (aka a mongrel cattle dog).
So I assumed the platypus watching position on the bridge checking all ripples moving upstream.  Suddenly there was a huge splash.  Bluey has decided to challenge a 4m long branch floating downstream.
He failed.  Despite the big splash other denizens of the riven go on about their business.
Looking West again I find that Bluey has worked out that his owners are heading off home, and has decided that the shortest way home is straight up the stream.  A squadron of Australian Wood Ducks decide to make sure he (I don't know why I assumed it was a male: probably because most females wouldn't be so daft) leaves the premises.
So I look back downstream, and there is a platypus.  As usual it is is very hard to get the camera organised but I get a snap with a platypus shape and another of the traditional swirl of bubbles!  Geez it is nice to know they are there!
The platypus is the dark shape in the water towards the RHS opf the image.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.