An addition to the sink list

Last evening I was doing the dinner dishes (at least the ones which don't fit in the dishwasher) and looking at the swift moths which have decided to reappear.

There then came a tap-tap on the window.  No, it was not Raquel Welch (despite my fond memories of Pete'n'Dud's sketch on this topic) but a far larger moth fluttering on the glass.  I was contemplating getting the camera for a snap, but this was going to involve logistics with removal of rubber gloves etc.

Suddenly there was an even louder tap.On looking out again, it was still not Raquel Welch. Rather, there was the male Tawny Frogmouth sitting on the window sill (perhaps 60cm from me).  No sign of the very large moth.  Getting the camera was now a matter of urgency but, alas, the Frogmouth had an appointment elsewhere and departed before a single glove could be removed.

The next evening I got a snap of a swift moth (I think) so have included it to the left.   As I went to bed I noticed a bat (of unknown species) swooping around the deck outside our bedroom so presumably some more moth munching was occurring.

The following morning I was up quite early and both species of moth were hammering their heads against the window.  This time I was able to get a picture of a large, brown species which follows.  When at rest it doesn't look as big as it does when flapping against the window.

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Knock, knock - Who's there?
Gulp!
0v0
(that's the big round eyes and beak of a Frogmouth, by the way)
Lovely moment, well told, Martin.
Denis

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Maslins beach rules