Numbers of birds

Several folk in the Mallacoota Birds Facebook group have reported seeing Glossy Black-Cockatoos on the Gun Club Track behind Mallacoota Airport. 

As I'd rather like to see them I have taken myself off there several times.  On my latest foray, from about 0930 to 1040 on 6 March, there were better numbers of a couple of other interesting species. I did a couple of laps including slight variants on each lap.  Lap 1 included the yellow element while the second lap followed a track  - plus about 20 metres of no-track - marked in green.

On each occasion I have seen the same number of Glossies: unfortunately, the number has been zero.

It was very pleasing to see (on the yellow track)  a Tawny-crowned Honeyeater posed on the Airport fence.
As I got back towards the inwards track I spotted a flock of at least 5 of the species of which 3 were in one frame.
 As I headed back for the second lap they flew along the fence in front of me, and I mangd to score 4 in this shot.
 After snapping these Jacky Winters ...

 ... a third one joined them.  They also flew in front of me for  while.

For the first time I saw an aircraft take off from the Airport. 
As the cloud base was no more than 1000m I wondered where they were going.  Out to sea was the answer - possibly to Gabo Island.  (As the motor sounded like a lawn mower with an attitude, and it was pretty windy, I wished them luck.)  From scanning Wikipedia, I think it is something to do with the Seabird Seeker aircraft.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.