Garden birds, Double Creek and the outlet

We brought one of our bird baths down from Carwoola and initially placed it amongst some pelargoniums.  The birds ignored it completely.  We moved it towards a Camellia bush and it now gets quite a bit of action:  I haven't recorded the visitors in a rigorous fashion but guess about 6 species so far have actually used it.

To start the narrative, here is the Camellia bush.
This bush is very popular with New Holland Honeyeaters:
This leads them to the bath.
 I haven't seen a Common Bronzewing on the bath, but when one displays its bronze wing so nicely it has to be photographed.
 Around noon I went for a walk around the Double Creek Nature Trail, about 5km along Genoa Rd.  A visiting friend had tried this a couple of weeks ago and it was flooded/
 It isn't flooded now the Inlet has been drained!  (Incidentally my camera's effort at this was rather underexposed, so I have edited the shot with Photoshop Express: a free program from Adobe.  I am finding this quite useful for improving poor snaps.)
 From the higher bits of the trail the magnificent eucalypts can be see coming out of the rainforested gully.
 A helpful sign: at least for those trees with leaves less than 50m in the air!
 The walk isn't particularly friendly to the disabled!
 This is an interesting area for birding.  There have been 113 species recorded here, but many of the checklists have quite modest totals.  I scored 10 species - which probably understates the total and "heard-only" records were not possible due to lyrebirds mimicking everything!  My best sighting was  Red-browed Treecreeper - my first sighting for the general area, although there are many reports from nearby.
The orange pin is my record: it appeared on the internet 5 minutes after I submitted the checklist (at home as there is no phone signal on the walk!

Our final activity was a walk to Bastion Point.  I hoped that this was a Lesser Sand Plover but gurus on the Mallacoota Birds FB page said "Double-banded".
We went to check the outlet which is brilliant,  The erosive power of water has it running very well.
I suspect the line of breakers show where much of the sand has been dumped.  These guys are far braver than me.  Its good that they are both wearing life jackets!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.