Finally some flowers

One of the great spots for orchids in Mallacoota is a heath area under the power lines to the West of the town.  On our forays there I have wondered about a track that heads off in the general direction of the Water treatment works.  Today I fired up up the bike and went for an explore.

The start point is marked as 1, and I thought I would end up at point 2.
 In fact I ended up at point 3 with the approximate route marked in green.  It was a bit over 4km in length and quite an interesting ride with quite a few patches of deepish sand that caused the bike to dig in and me to have to dismount.

However that was all good fun, and it was made even more enjoyable by there being some flowers to look at,  Epacris impressa was abundant.

 There were quite a few small Goodenia sp.
 I call this sort of flower Scaveola sp.
 A Pimelea I think!  The florets were much smaller than the species I am familiar with around the ACT
The last two images give an overview of the bush: a lot of huge old trees as well as a very well developed shrub layer.

I only saw/heard 4 species of birds, possibly because I was having to concentrate on keeping the bike upright!

I have since explored the track starting at point 2.  It goes through - quite directly - to Genoa Rd at point 2.  It is much more of a road than the first track.
There is an indistinct track off to the left near point 4.  On exploring that I found a nice colony of  finger orchids. My friend Jean has identified this as Eriochilus cucullatus - a much better ID than I had managed!
.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.