Rock, but no roll

While wandering towards Whiskers Creek yesterday I noticed a rock with a good covering of lichen and moss, so returned today for some photos.
From consulting the 1:250k Canberra Geological Map Sheet I have concluded that this is a greywacke.  As explained in the Wikipedia article about the rocks it is primarily a form of sandstone, formed in such a way as to have a lot of other rocks mixed in with it.

On looking more closely at the rock there were some very interesting forms of lichen and moss. (Rolling stones may not gather this stuff, but that welded to the Earth's mantle certainly do.)  I know even less about lichen and moss than I do about rocks so will let the pictures do the talking.



I will be bold and say the next two images are moss rather than lichen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.