A walk around a moderately large block

 Frances did this walk on the 15th of August (while I was testing out the Sandringham Croquet Lawns) and found it very interesting.  So as I was running low on bagels I thought I would repeat it.  Here is the (5.5km) route:

After crossing Fawkner Park we went in to Christ Church which was open for contemplation and prayer.  We didn't pray but did contemplate an excellent church.  The walls were well endowed with very interesting memorials.  A surprising number were to military people who died in India in the late 1800s, such as this.
This poor bloke died at 22 of unstated causes.  Muttra (now Mathura) seems to have been a regional centre near Agra with no mention of battles etc so I presume he died from some tropical disease.
A view of the glass and woodwork.
Looking up into the lantern shows more good carpentry.
As does the rood screen.
Many of the columns in the church had these carvings attached.  I have no idea what they represent, but are some what similar in style to reliefs on the buildings in the Park.
The church has a choral evensong on Sunday evenings so we will visit on our next trip.

I got some bagels (2 Blueberry and 2 Poppy seed) at a shop a little down Toorak Rd.  I had one for lunch and rated it as not as good as the ones from Costco (and about 3 times the price.  We then proceeded down Toorak Road, in my case at least reflecting on the Bernard Boland song about a Toorak Tram on a Friday Night ".. a 4 mile ride and a 10 round fight."
Although there are many high rise in the background most of the buildings seem to have preserved some history.  In this case the impressive facade of Her Majestys Hotel fronts a modern apartment.
I was just curious about all the well used stuffed toys on this Melbourne Water ute.  Have they been pulled out of blocked drains?
We then moved in to Chapel St where Frances had business at a linen shop.  I was intrigued by the tattoo parlour next door.
The prices were astonishing.  I have never been able to rationalise getting a tatt and at these prices some of those who wear them must have spent thousands of bucks,
The Jam Factory: I had this confused with the (demolished) Pram Factory, in Carlton where I had seen - and participated in, "Dimboola" in about 1973.
A view of Chapel St.
Street art!
More street art!
This is sort of at the back of the Prahran Market (actually in South Yarra) and close to a very interesting Japanese supermarket.  Frances bought miso and wontons, I got a can of interesting Kirin Beer.  It turned out to be a porter style dark beer: very palatable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Maslins beach rules