Some bird photos

Sorry, I ran out of imagination for the title!

On the dog walk this morning a Great Egret was nicely reflected in a the small lagoon and was visited by a Pelican.  This is the best my phone could do as a photo.
I rode over to the poo pits in the late morning to see what was around.  The answer was basically "The usual suspects in average numbers."  A Black-fronted Dotterel posed well in front of the small hide,
While at the pits two Wedge-tailed Eagles flew over.  Judging by the squawking, one of them was a juvenile expecting to be fed.  As I got home 3 of them appeared - including a squawker - surfing the updraft over Lakeside Drive.  I assume that two were the ones I saw 3kms away: I can't imagine that two pairs would breed that close together.  Only one made it into the camera!
In the late afternoon we sit and look out over the Inlet.  A small skein of Pelicans came by, also surfing the updraft.



The next day (or today, depending on when you read this  - I mean 6 April) there were quite a few of the heronish tribe in the lagoon.  Some of the photos come from the dog walk and others from riding my  bike past on my way to the airport.
 This shows the splash as the rear Egret dunks its bill!
On the dog walk there was a single Bin Chook while on the way home I counted 11 of them.

 2 Egrets and bits of 2 Spoonbills.
 1 Egret and the 3 Royal Spoonbills.

Finally. while partaking of some Positive Biomass Angling a Great Egret flew by...
What is Positive Biomass Angling you ask?  It is going fishing, where the weight of bait you add to the water is greater than the weight of fish you pull out!

My final lot of photos are of Whistling Kite.  The first was of a perched bird seen on our morning dog walk.
The next two are of a bird circling over home.  This was one of four birds seen doing laps around the phone tower across the valley.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.