Moderate concentration required

A few weeks ago I explored, on my MTB, the walking track alongside the Narrows.  It was presaged with a sign from Parks muttering about high water levels.  This turned out to be accurate and after about 500m I gave up.  Hoping that the water had dropped I had another go today.

As I rode past Mullet Creek it seemed that the fruit bats were very noisy.  To my surprise there were quite a few visible close to the road.  I assume this means there are now more in the colony, not that the camp has moved.
Getting to the edge of the Park 4 Cattle Egrets were grazing with the cattle at Bucklands.
The signs about water over the track had vanished, as had the water,  However there were other "difficulties".  A couple of patches of soft sand were awkward but this fallen tree (at point 1 in the map below) needed a dismount and carry.
A bit further on, point 2,  some large fallen branches repeated the dose.  Once past those the difficulty became more ongoing reflecting the very rocky nature of the track.  Taken together with:

  • the narrowness (perhaps 1m) of the track; and
  • the proximity of a drop (perhaps 1m) into the water

considerable concentration was required regarding the placement of the wheels.  It wasn't greatly enjoyable and certainly looking around for birds was not on the agenda.
So when I got to the end of the Narrows and could see into the Top Lake ..
... I reversed ..
.... and rode back to the mouth of the Narrows.
It was an interesting ride, but probably one I won't repeat.  As there were a couple of damp gullies along the way that should be good for birds I might do it again but as a walk.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.