Large White Birds

I have been quite interested in the behaviour of Cattle Egrets in the area recently.  The first one appeared dining with some alpacas which reside nearby and then I spotted 42 on Rabbit Island a couple of days ago.

Yesterday I was scanning (with my telescope, from our lounge) a grassy paddock down towards the Narrows and noticed about 20 Cattle Egrets perched in some pine trees.  They are the white dots in this photo - the trees are about 1.5km away.
This morning (10/4) I was riding into town and heard a strange noise from a marsh near the largest fishing jetty.  On stopping to check I found the area very well endowed with birds.  Nearest were some Australian White Ibis (aka Bin Chooks).
 A little further away were some Great Egrets (6) and Cattle Egrets (7).
 As I continued on I checked Rabbit Island and 14 Cattle Egrets were there.

So getting home I checked Bucklands and tallied 31 Cattle Egrets there, grazing with the cattle.  I am pretty confident the birds were not moving around so there are currently 52 Cattle Egrets in the Mallacoota area.  The three locations are shown in this image.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.