Nature on the Plain and at Home

I went back to the Plain this morning hoping to find some Woodswallow nests in a small plantation (to which the owner kindly gave me access).

There seemed to be less Woodswallows around today - I think they were more dispersed - and a higher proportion of Masked than yesterday.  I was able to spot a couple of instances where the food being found in the paddock was a grub of some description - quite large so perhaps a chafer larva?

While some of the photos which follow illustrate specific points others are  included under the spiffy image rule: I hope they aren't too boring for you!

As well as the pines there are some snow gums (Eucalyptus pauciflora) in the plantation.  They were flowering nicely,
 but I don't fancy the chances of a polinating insect surviving long with the number of predators zooming about!

A White-browed Woodswallow (WBW) launching itself.
 Male WBW.

 A female WBW: on a few occasions after this pose was held, a male appeared and made nice, getting lucky in the process.  Thus I regard this as a display action.
 A pair were kind enough to pose so that their plumage could be contrasted.
 A female Masked Woodswallow.
 Here's the male.
 And another!
 On the way home I spotted an echidna just up from the low level crossing of the Molonglo.  I quickly photographed it for Echidna CSI and then took a few more detailed pix for this.  It had found an ant nest and was getting stuck in.
 A few ants are visible in this image, .....
 .. and more in this one!
 Back home the Frogmouth chicks are growing well.  I don't know if that is what a frog's mouth looks like but it is certainly a big mouth!

 Mum was roosting nearby today.  I don't know where she has been most of the time, but she is clearly helping out when needed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.