Mainly woodswallows

On our way back from Foxlow Lagoon we saw a few Woodswallows along Plains Rd, 
The photos I took - other than the Masked Woodswallow above - were generally disappointing so I went back for another go.  This time I found the huge main flock.  Many of them were feeding on the ground.

In case you wondered about the pattern n the underwing of a White-browed Woodswallow!
Some were perching - for reasons I couldn't establish:  they didn't seem to be eating anything and didn't roost but moved off quite quickly  in surrounding trees including Pinus radiata ..
.. and a small dead eucalypt.
Yet more were in a cypress windbreak.

As indicated above most were feeding in a large flock on the ground


About half the birds took off at one point and by counting as I placed dots in this image ...
I found that I had included 205 birds in the photo.  Assuming this to be half the feeding birds, I estimated there were at least another 100 in the surrounding trees.  Scanning through the flock I estimated about 20% of the birds were Masked Woodswallows,  The next two image give an indication of the demographic mix of the flock.

Returning home a Common Bronzewing was kind enough to display its bronze wing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.