More nature around Carwoola and Primrose Valley

Sorry I have been a bit slow in updating this with text Been a bit busy with real estate stuff recently.

On 20 November I went for a drive round the area which is the focus of this post but it begins with a few things from home.

I was surprised to see the Frogmouths nest empty!
 The chicks haven't flown but have just crawled a metre or so away and perched on a branch with Dad in attendance.
This isn't that unusual but they were still there on the morning of the 21st.  That is unusual, as they usually go back to the nest before dark.  The next day they had moved further away to such a position they must have flown: this is the shortest brooding period I have recorded.

There has been an outbreak of unwellness amongst some wildlife,  A beetle - still with a nice purple iridescence on the elytra.
This spider was actually still alive when I chucked it outside.  Only then did I notice the white tip to the abdomen, which made me glad I hadn't picked it up in my hand, but in a wad of paper.  Their bites can be painful and nasty in after effects.
We found this snake skeleton (with a little meat still attached) on our drive.  I flicked it off to one side and when I came back later ...
.. it was very well endowed with ants
The road I ended up on was at the low end of Yanununbeyan SCA.  It seemed that someone had tried  to repair the road but was unfamiliar with the use of a roller to compact the surface,  Rather loose and bumpy.
Steepness has always been available in here!
There was a fair amount of flowering visible.  Brachyloma daphnoides
Comesperma volubile

A couple of beans.

Kunzea parvifolia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.