It's turtle season everywhere

I missed sunrise this morning (too busy writing up the previous blog) but did catch the sunlight forming a line in the Inlet!
No photos from the dog walk, which was mainly notable for the good list of birds - 31 species - seen. 
So it was packing up and nicking off, which we did about 10:37.  We stopped briefly at Gypsy Point Cemetery (in between showers) to check for orchids.  The temperature was 12oC which explains why none of the Thelymitra, of which I spotted quite a few buds,were open.  I did spot a clump of Microtis but am aesthetically opposed to peering at them.

On to Imlay Road and found a timber jinker gaining on me from behind.  He wasn't tailgating but clearly wanted to go a bit faster than I wished to go, bearing in mind the potential presence of chunderpooch.  So I pulled off and let it by - a second one was close behind.  As we got towards the end of the twisty bit (about 40km in) a third one appeared but I was able to keep in front of that, without the back seat getting decorated.  It is quite unusual to find so many "empties" heading in: I assume they couldn't work in the rain of the previous day so were trying to fit in an extra load.

As we hadn't been to Black Lake (near Bibbenluke) for some time I diverted to there to see what was around.  Still a good bit of water, but obviously well down on full.
Coots were the most numerous species (at least 250) with a few Pied Stilts as expected.  These birds are far from common in Canberra or the South Coast but regularly seen here.  I wonder why?
A few Blacks were gliding around.
It was good to see a few Whiskered Terns hunting over the water and 19 Sharp-tailed  Sandpipers probing along the shoreline.

The small dog was allowed out for a comfort stop behind the elegant sign.  It always surprises me when I see such infrastructure in an out of the way place like this.  I have never seen anyone using the boat ramp and there have only been 27 bird lists submitted since 2007!
As we left we spotted the Monster from the Black Lagoon Lake crossing the road.
Zooming in on its feet ..
.. shows a fine set of claws.  Another reason to be careful when picking one up.

On, on down the road getting home at 1525.  A good bit slower than the truip down, but we did stop a few  times.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.