Gardening starts!

How do you know when Spring has really arrived?  When you can't get a park at Bunnings!  (For the benefit of non-Australian readers this is the Australian equivalent of Wal-mart.)

So today was the first day of getting stuck in to the vegetable garden for me.  This was basically digging in some of the soggy bits, in the hope that this will help the soil to dry out. Otherwise we will be planting rice!

One of the areas was subject to a small experiment, in that we covered the area with equine faecal matter (EFM  - aka horse poop) in Autumn to see how it encouraged the fertility of the soil. The main thing I noticed was that each forkful of soil I dug had 2 - 4 worms visible in it.  Since I regard a high worm population as a good indicator of good soil this area is brilliant, and the experiment is a success.    (I had also dumped the EFM on the areas we planted our new daffodil beds and they did seem easier to dig than in the past.)

The only thing we can harvets at the moment is our initial crop of asparagus.  Not a bad form of 'only'!
I will finish with a snap of the big bed of daffodils against a background of a prunus.

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Hi Martin
Impressive Asparagus from a rocky hillside.
I have sent two comments back (from my blog) re your Blue non-Caladenia).
I assumed it was Cyanicula caerulea. But I found lots of Glossodia minor in flower today. So that might be more likely..
I sent links to photos of both.
Hope that helps.
Cheers
Denis

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.