Wow, heavy, man

Since this post is about heavy flow in Whiskers Creek I couldn't resist making the title a reference back to the 1960s.  I had thought to ut in some informative links about the derivation of the term but ran into two issues:
  • WoW appears to be most used these days as an acronym for "World of Warcraft" a militaristic computer game, of limited interest to me; or
  • putting quotes around the phrase got me links to pages that appeared to be written by people who really truly meant the term.
In neither case was I particularly interested in linking to the sites.

Over the last 2 days we have had 24.8mm of rain.  Given that everywhere was still quite damp from what has gone on earlier in the year there is a fair bit of runoff and, I hope, trickle down into the ground water.  By 9:46am on 11August we are 6.6mm above the total rainfall for 2009.  Applying the average proportion of annual rainfall to this I end up with a projected total rainfall of 880mm.

Dams in the ACT are now at 59% of capacity (and even poor old Googong is staggering towards 50%).  Such a pity the new Cotter Dam wasn't finished last year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.