Garry, Gregory or Marty?

I have consulted a member of the Committee and cleared narrating matters relating to an official joke.

Back in the day when I could run 20 miles rather than 20 metres I would wear a kepi when running in Summer since even starting at 6am it was still pretty warm running up Bindubi St about 9am.  This led to remarks about Beau Geste being entered in the List of Official Jokes.

There was some problem with working out which of the thespians whole have filled this role was most like me: Garry Cooper (1939) or Marty Feldman (1966).  It was also thought that Gregory Peck filled the role but that isn't listed in IMDB filmography for Mr Peck.  However it did lead to me ringing another member of the running group (at his mum's house in Adelaide) and leaving a message asking that he ring Garry, Gregory or Marty.  His mum said to him "Some strange man rang you.  He didn't know his own name."

What leads to these thoughts about the Foreign Legion?  The sandbar across the mouth of Mallacoota Inlet!
The water level in the Inlet appears to be dropping, but there is still no connection through the dune.

The morning dawned foggily, looking across the Inlet.  I think such cloud colour as there was had vanished by the time I got up.
A nice sight on the dog walk was an Eastern Yellow Robin moving on to this nest over Lakeside Drive.
At the end of the walk we finally spotted an Azure Kingfisher, near the bat site.  (Bats are absent so far.)  This was the best photo I could get.
Our midday walk was to Bastion Point.  Not many birds, but a Ruddy Turnstone was nice to see ...

.. as were a couple of Red-necked Stints.

This yellow daisy is getting in to serious flowering on the Inlet side of the blocking dune.
Pigface is into flowering everywhere.
Later in the afternoon I went down to the Inlet to try to relocate the Kingfisher.  I saw it fly but couldn't relocate it for a photo.  These Chestnut Teal were more obliging.
Some antics by a Pelican in the end of a small creek at the foot of Karbeethong Avenue.



Needing to go into town to buy my serve of fish and chips for tea, I swung by Captain Stevenson's Point.  The Caspian Tern was still in position, IMHO confirming breeding.  (I have since been told, via birding-aus, that Mallacoota is a known breeding site.)
The wind was quite strong and I thought this guy did a big job carrying his wife's sail down to the water.
She had all the right gear for windsurfing and took off like a rocket.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.