Various bits of Belconnen etc

After a stroll to say hello to Arabella, Tammy and I dropped Frances off at a drawing class and headed to vague area of Ginniderra Creek.  I began at Giralang Ponds.

The big hope here was Nankeen Night-heron which roost in the Casuarinas.  Actually that should be "Sometimes roost in the Casuarinas.": and as you might infer today was not one of those times.  In the general region of Herons etc I soon spotted 3 Australian White Ibis (not common recently) and a pair of White-faced Herons on a power line.
I then spotted another two mucking around in the reeds.  I'd guess a family group.  A Lathams Snipe then sqwarked its way off a mud bank.  All told I ended up with 25 species for the site.

I then shifted a few '00m to McKellar Pond where in the past Little Bittern and Australasian Bittern have been sighted.  Not today they weren't.  The best bird - which has turned out to be Bird of the Day - here was Olive-backed Oriole.  Surely that is getting ready to pick up its luggage and move on?  A rather small area so only 16 species seen.

As we were moving round the pond there was an obvious path through a watercourse.  It was being used as a snoozing ground by Moggie vulgaris.  On seeing Tammie - who was very interested in a new bit of fur - it stood up stretched, arched its back and swore vigorously.  As it had a collar with contact details it was obviously someone's beloved pet so I didn't want a brawl to erupt (and it was close to Tammy in size so I have doubts about who would have won).  Eventually the feline moved away.
Our next stop was the Peninsula of Lake Ginninderra. Many Sulphur-crested Cockatoos were there including this indolent blighter who was bumming food from an adult.
 We circled the Peninsula, marveling at the development of the Town Centre.  When we first moved to Canberra the local community were up in arms about a two story pub being built on the lake shore.  The slum on the left appears to be 22 storeys high and I am unsure about the ones on the RHS: I wonder where they all park.  I am also very pleased I no longer work in the area.
 There were several Dusky Woodswallows around.  They were all in ones or twos and seemed to be showing no signs of migrating.
25 species were written down by the time we got back to the dog run where I let Tammie off the lead because I could.  Surprisingly there were no other dogs in the small dogs area.

Our final stop was back towards the City to check on the Powerful Owl at Turner.  It was present as hoped.  As usual for my observations it had no prey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.