Spider, orchid and other natural stuff in November

I hope you all noticed the comma after 'spider"!  That was to announce this great image taken by Frances on revisiting the Captains Flat Cemetery yesterday.
Spiders were also the business around home this morning with a fairly heavy fog giving some nice web effects.  I was able to get the camera in time to catch these shots,

Another side effect of the recent moisture has been the growth of our lawns (as well as all the other vegetation around the place).  As a result I am having to mow the lawn at least once a week, rather than the once a month which was needed in last year's drought.  As I went under the big Yellow Box I noticed particular lushness in one area, leading me to paraphrase Erma Bombeck in commenting that the grass is always greener under the frogmouth's nest.  Talking of that crew, they are doing the usual thing of travelling around as a group, often spending the day in the Acacia roost.  This is probably not good news for the local frogs.

Reptiles are very evident, with most of the usual suspects having reported for duty.  Fortunately snakes seem to be keeping out of the bits of the garden where the small dog goes and we are keeping her away from them elsewhere in the property.  Touch wood and cross fingers. 

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Hi Martin
Thanks for the reference to the "comma".
My blood pressure was beginning to rise from the first glance, till I noticed your disclosure.
.
You've got to love Flower Spiders. They are very patient, and very good observers of other life forms (Insects AND Plants).
.
Frances's Orchid resembles my Stegostyla cucullata from my Mt Rae visit last weekend. Mine has a more reddish exterior of the dorsal sepal than Fran's plant, but the rest looks very similar.
.
Frogmouths and Frogs have both had a good season, I figure. Anyway, clearly they are destined for eachother.
.
Cheers
Denis

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.