Damselflies

While out on a birding expedition a few days ago I spotted what I believe to be a flight of damselflies on the margins of a dam.  I've seen them (or something like them) before on the dams on our property but this time  had my camera with me.  It is possible these are Common Flatwing, but confirmation is to follow (thanks David Cook).



I had no idea what was going on here.  Is it an after effect of copulation?  End of a battle?  Carrying around a moulted skin?
The animal seemed able to fly reasonably well with the extra burden.  From the description of mating behaviour in damselflies it seems highly likely that this is some part of that process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.