A Melbourne Trip Day 3

 We started by driving to Westgate Park.  Our satnav failed somewhat on this as it took us to point 1 where there was a bus stop and an entry, but nowhere to park.  We ignored a few "no entry" signs at the Boeing premises until we could turn round and worked our way over to point 2 which was the actual entrance.

The Park has an active Friends group.  We saw several of the Earth Series Sculptures. These artworks by Lyn Moore are made from natural materials.


Work was happening under the bridge (the red patches are workers).  These would have be amongst the worst working conditions I have seen: many metres above the ground; enclosed; horrendous traffic noise.
I was unsure whether the full image of the bridge ....
.. or the cropped version was better, so have included both.
Another shot relating to the bridge pylon, from 0750 on 19 June.
A view of the lake.
A pleasant place to visit but not helpful for Bird A Day purposes.  We returned to the apartment and decided that Frances would go to the National Gallery to see Mr Rembrandt while I would return to Albert Park for a second attempt at the Black-tailed Native Hen (BTNH).  Walking down Spencer St to get to the tram I noticed a couple of good murals.

There was a horde catching the tram East.  I think most of them had come out of Southern Cross station, just across Spencer Street.
A Little Raven visited.
On our trip yesterday I moaned about there not being a station x station map, leading to us getting off a stop too soon.  Today I looked above the door and saw just what I wanted.  I decided I would get off at MSAC and walk to Middle Park thus saving a little back and forth,
In fact I did quite a bit of walking around but out of having time rather than necessity.
Almost as soon as I started looking at the birds I spotted the BTNH in a group of Dusky Moorhens.


Yesterday I eyeballed the Coots and guessed the number overall to be 300.  Today I counted each group and entered each count, coming to a total of 362.  This was the biggest flock: I guessed 100 and counted 134, so my guess wasn't too bad.
I didn't see the big flock of Little Corellas but 4 Long-billed Corellas did present.
This shows the red colouring well.
Football was happening. This was a kids match.
A women's game was a bit more contested, but less skilful.
Pit Lane for the Grands Prix.  The last time I was here was about 10 km onto a Marathon.
Getting the tram back was not pleasant.  The driver announced that a tram had to be taken out for defoulment - presumably someone had chundered. So this one had two loads.  Note that only the African woman is wearing a mask (as was I).  I think this tram could be a super-spreader.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Maslins beach rules