The green green grass of the Fyshwick Poo-pits

Needing to go to Fyshwick this morning I put in an hour on the Northern extremity of that suburb of ill-repute seeing what was going on in the way of waterfowl.

There is still a good amount of water in Kelly's Swamp, which I find surprising in view of the pathetic excuse for rainfall this year.  This is the view from Ardea Hide.
There were relatively few birds around:  a Black-backed Bittern had flown into the reeds before I arrived but otherwise it was a very unexciting collection.  Its always nice to see a basking tortoise.
I next moved to Cygnus Hide where the growth of the Typha reeds continues apace.  A few years ago this image would have no reeds on the left hand side.
A few interesting ducks where on the usual log.  Although neither 'Zebra duck' was displaying an obvious pink ear they were still identifiable as Pink-eared Ducks, even in the position of the one on the left!
The middle specimen is a Freckled Duck.  At least the freckles are visible!
Looking down a bit closer to the hide a tiny Baillons Crake appeared ....
.. and patrolled the shore.
I then wandered along towards the Offices, greatly enjoying the shade under which the Friends group have established a chair.  Unfortunately the Sharp-tailed Sandpipers have moved on (or at least weren't evident to me).

I then crossed the road to see what was going on the poo pits.  Very little is the answer.  The pond closest to the road is now more like a bowling green and even peering with my telescope at the ponds with water in them very few birds could be seen.
As I walked back to the car I was pleased to see the ponds in the other section of this area of bans were graced by some Whiskered Terns.  I noted 3 from Dairy Road but when I pulled on to the verge of the Monaro Highway I counted 6 .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.