Arachnophobes: do NOT read on!

On the other hand, any comments from arachnophiles about the ID of what follows would be welcome.

After a bitterly cold (-6 - yes I know my Finnish and Canadian readers will regard that as 'possibly cool') night and morning the day turned out to be a beautiful Canberra Winter day getting up to about 15 degrees.  So I went for a walk around the block to see what was occurring.

The Melichrus urcelotaus (Urn Heath) is beginning to flower and the various other heaths around the place are getting buds.  Spring isn't here yet, but one might be able to see it in the distance.

I did find a rather sick looking Eucalyptus meliodora (Yellow Box) with a large bit of loose bark.  On tugging the loose bark a large (say 8cm across the legs) spider ran out.
A very attractive beast in an understated way.  As the light was fading it was difficult to get a really good shot but flash seemed to help a bit.  I have only a general book on spiders, and shall try to read it more closely this evening but thus far have no idea of the ID of the beast.  Thanks to my friend Denis for advising that it is a Huntsman.  On reading around the very interesting site he recommended I came across the entry for this species: the notes below the image suggest that trying to get below Family level is a matter for experts.

Possibly some of the features of the head will be helpful.
The two rows of 4 eyes, and general hairiness, impress me more than somewhat.  I can really imagine this being the anti-hero of a 1950s Horror movie!

(As an aside I am amused that Denis's reference site relates primarily to Queensland.  So does the best site for insects which also has some spider species including this one.  Apparently lots of people interested in arthropods live in Queensland because of the wealth of subject matter there.  As the current temperature here is -6.5 I reckon the scientists also like the climate better than that of the Monaro!)

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
That's a Huntsman, Martin.
.
Perhaps you have not looked so closely before?
Check this site:
http://www.findaspider.org.au/find/spiders/418.htm

Denis
Flabmeister said…
Denis

Many thanks for that. I was put off that as an ID because my antique reference book rabbits on about the legs having a barber's pole effect in blue and yellow. However the eyes have it!

Also another good reference site.

Martin

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.