Vertebrates of March

It has been a bit tricky to get bird photos this month.  However while out by Whiskers Creek I became aware of a large avian ruckus by the Captains Flat Rd (about 1.5km away).  The usual rule when hearing magpies and lapwings getting excited is to look for an eagle.   Sure enough one duly soared into view taking an up-draft along the line of the Creek.

I think it took about 5 minutes to get to me, but as it performed about 4 circles as it came it must have covered at least 5 kilometres rather than the straight line.  This suggests the wind was really shifting it along since I couldn't see its wings move.  It was noticeable that its soaring flight was as fast as the magpies' attempts -in flapping flight - to swoop it
That image shows the wedge-tail rather well and gives an impression of the angle of the wings..  Since I couldn't pick up any brown on the bird I think it was a full adult.  It is I suspect moulting at the moment or had been getting a real battering from the magpies, as it primaries were looking very tatty. 
Unfortunately it didn't descend to munch any wabbits.

I have also been interested that later in the month our bird bath has been seeing some more action.  A White-browed scrubwren has visited a couple of times in the last few days but in the early evening it was visited by a juvenile Crimson Rosella, a Grey Fantail, Superb Fairy-wren and again a scrubbie.  As the light was not good, and I was trying to take photos through a dusty window, only the Rosella has been recorded for posterity.
I shall add cleaning the window to my list of chores.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.