Melbourne Explorations (pt 3)

The day began in quite a cool way with low cloud as we walked to the Queen Victoria Market.

I visited the beer shop to see what they had to offer in the way of alcohol-free beers.  He had r offerings of which I took 1 can of each.  Commentary will follow.

I have never seen the QVM so quiet at 0800 hours.  I wondered if aliens had abducted everyone, but a birding friend suggested the Golden Plover had reappeared at the WTP!
I liked this sign at one of the stalls.
Our first walk was along Victoria St to check an apartment block.  Dux were in Carlton Gardens.  At a quick glance we thought one was tangled in plastic and I was trying to work out how to catch it.  On getting closer it morphed into a bike helmet!
We wandered in to St Patrick's Cathedral.  Quite impressive.  Around the corner from the plaques relating to archbishops of Melbourne was this history of George Pell.  Sorry its blurry - it was a dark corner of the cathedral, which some might find appropriate.  It misses a few events in 2018-20.
The architecture was quite impressive.


On the way I spoke to a person of Asian experience in a St Patricks sweater.  I asked if he was the boss: his response was negative - only one boss, pointing upwards!

I seem to have misplaced the images of the rest of the walk around Fitzroy and Treasury Gardens.  Quite pleasant and the block I was interested in looked quite good - at least having a view over the gardens.

My next foray was to Princes Park (Carlton) to watch a grand-daughter run in the District Cross Country Championships.  Here is the Boys 3km event about to start ...
... and this is the Girls.
A view of the CBD from the Park.
It was quite hard to see the  somewhat hallowed turf as trod by Jezza and 💩💩Percy Jones .....
... until I went in to the souvenir shop.  They showed Percy getting inducted into their Hall of fame in 1988 - long after I saw him deck Barrie Robran in a post-season match.  I presume this was training.
I decided to across to Lygon Street and found the cemetery was in the way.  This gate was just about possible to open so I wandered through.
Some headstones in Chinese!
Some views of the CBD.

Not all graces are well maintained!
This one was in a very Jewish area next to the hedge on Lygon Street.
There was no gate openable on Lygon St so I ended up back on Royal Parade and caught a tram there.

In the evening we went to Docklands to check an apartment.  This is the waterfront.


A view from a bedroom of the 20th floor apartment.  Perhaps a little industrial.
From the lounge it was possible to see the Bay.
Overall we decided the place was acceptable, but not our heart's desire.  It was getting towards dark as we left, so a different view of the CBD.
At this point I discovered I had lost my Myki card.  Fortunately we were in the free zone.  On getting back to the apartment I blocked the card - very helpful person on the phone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Maslins beach rules