Captains Creek - the third way

I posted a few weeks back about a walk from Bucklands to Captains Creek Jetty and more recently getting about 2/3 of the way along the soggy Charlies Creek track that ends up there.  On 6 July we went the third way of getting to the Jetty: along the Captains Creek Fire Trail.  A signboard at the start advertises this as 3km one way, which the GPS function on my eBird app reckons is a bit short.
 I have used my memory of how far along the changes in slope occurred (checking the GPS and using the fox baiting sites as guides) and the contours in my topo map to work out a course profile.  The result gives a fair idea of where the work happened!

In terms of tactics we followed our usual practice of walking briskly on the way out, pausing more on the way back to look at stuff.  We had agreed that this would be varied if something was seen on the way out that needed a snap and which might get overlooked on the way back.  The first such item was a flowering Drosera.  My ALA data offers 2 species of which D. auriculata is the better match with long flower stems.
 As I turned from taking that image I noticed a berry-laden Persoonia linearis (thin leaves, globular rather than ovoid fruit) on the opposite side of the track
 An attraction of the walk is the very tall trees.  I'm not sure if any of them would have seen Captain Cook but they are surely quite old.
 On getting to the Jettya Pelican improved the view of Genoa Peak.
 There were a lot of Correa reflexa in the shrub layer so I decided to include them.
 I have yet to identify this flower - the leaves look distinctive.  I think it is Xanthosia pilosa.
 A little surprising to be passed by a cyclist!  When asked for a dink he opined that it was harder riding than walking,
 A few Leucopogon - I think L. ericoides - were offering to burst into flower.
 Some of the Banksia serrata along the track are very tall - close to 10m.  They should be most impressive if we get some rain to encourage them to flower.
This plant is tricksy, as the leaves are covered in white flour making them look like flowers.  I need to go back to take a photo of the inconspicuous flowers!  That attribute justifies the specific name: Spyridium parvifolium (although possibly S. parviflorum would be even better).
Here are the small flowers.
This is looking down the hill at 0.5km, and not showing the steepness.  Definitely more suitable for the Pajero than the Jetta.
 Hibbertia virgata
 Acacia suaveolens
When I returned on 7 July to get the detailed snap of the Spyridium I took a few other photos as well.  There were quite a few examples of Hakea sericea.
 I then spotted a Greenhood  It seems to be Pterostylis acuminata, but that is apparently rare and endangered, so I have referred the photos to the Bairnsdale Field Nats for advice.  The BFN have replied, confirming the ID!  Whooo hooo!

There were a few mozzies around as well.  This one was photographed before being improved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.