Northern explorations

I went to explore a couple of areas off the Princes Highway we had heard about as being interesting,  The first was Maramingo Creek where Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters have been seen,  The second was a rainforest walk located (I thought) off Wallagaraugh Rd.  The locations I visited are shown as Freeman Track and Bridge in this clip from Google Earth.
 You may note a slight disconnect between the names plotted and those listed in the preamble.  I'll get to the bridge in due course, but it seemed that the way to get to Maramingo Flora Reserve was on the Freeman Track rather than Maramingo Rd, which is a little further South.

I thought I'd drive on the track a bit and then walk.  On finding this branch across the track 100m down it I decided walking was the go.
At the start there were a lot of very large Banksia serrata - all well past flowering but will be impressive in spring.
Looking up into a eucalypt there was a good crop of Amyema pendula.  The second mistletoe species I have found in the area.  (Atlas of Living Australia had no records of either near our house, so I have added some.)
Acacia terminalis was the main flowering plant today,
A nice maidenhair fern in Maramingo Creek.
I am not sure how well this bridge over the Creek would hold up to the Pajero, so was pleased to be walking!
Vegetation in the Creek.  I'm far from sure what this reedy looking plant is.
There were quite a few fungi around.  This used to be Omphalina chromacea but the genus has recently changed so its now Lichenomphalia chromacea.
This was growing in the same area and appears to be a good match for Lichenomphalia umbellifera.
A flower!  Xerochrysum bracteatum!
The commonest bird was the Bell Miner.  High in the canopy, most of my images were silhouettes. 
After getting back to the car I then went looking for Maxwells Rainforest Walk, marked on a map very close to Wallagaraugh Rd.  (In fact it's about 15km up the road, in NSW!)  I did get to see Johnson's Bridge over the Wallagaraugh River (the main stream flowing into the Inlet).
I also got Bird of the Day (an Australian Pipit) in the farmland on the far side.

Driving back these Cyathea australis growing in a gully were quite impressive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.