Snaps around Canberra

 This has a few snaps from Friday in Canberra.  Going back to an old joke to amuse our daughter "Who stole Black Mountain Tower?"  It is interesting that it almost allows one to envisage what Black Mountain looked like pre-tower. 

It, like the cat in a Garrison Keilor song, came back.
After an entertaining morning at the croquet lawns I went out to JerrabomberaWetlands hoping to find a 'good' bird for Bird A Day.  I did spot a/the Freckled Duck (already used as BAD) silhouetted against the water.  Really, with this species the silhouette is all that is needed.
Just as well since post-editing doesn't greatly improve matters !
There was a good-sized flock of Australian White Ibis towards the Billabong.  I counted 90 Ibis in total but here are a few of them.
I cruised over to the far end of the Reserve, hoping to find a Tawny Frogmouth which nested there last year.  I think I spotted the nest being reconstructed but despite peering at the nearby trees fairly intently couldn't see the birds.  However, on crossing back over the Molonglo I noticed that at least one of the Martins has a chestnut head, making it a Fairy Martin.  Although I didn't get a photo, that was BAD.

Back at the apartment a couple of Ibis flew past

As evening fell the lights of cars on Cooyong St were, as usual reflected in the apartments that have replaced the ABC lats in Reid.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Maslins beach rules