A day in Canberra

 We are in Canberra getting various medical things fixed up.  We expect to be here for a bit over a week and then do a few trips - depending on doctors scheduling - for the rest of the year.

I can see Black Mountain Tower from my desk and just before sunrise on the morning of the 18th it looked interesting with a skirt of cloud.


The sun came up - a surprising distance along the horizon.
On our previous visit I was annoyed that Commonwealth Park is still fenced off as the National Capital Authority returf the area after Floriade.  After a complaint to the Leader of the Opposition in House of Assembly (NCA) I was told the fence would be cleared by 17th November.  Sorry that is a fail.  My guess is that there is still at least a week more work needed.  It is astounding that the NCA is allowed to waste this amount of money each year.
As we walked back to the apartment I was struck by the design (by "Olivia" aged 11) on a recycling truck.
Later in the morning I walked down City Walk to the optician's shop to get my new lenses fitted into my specs.  (They are brilliant!)  A glass pseudo Christmas tree has been erected.

It has lights inside but was not lit up when I visited in the evening.  And I can't find out anything about when the switch id=s going to be flicked.  There are some associated plaques on light poles.
In the afternoon we went to Kelly's Swamp for birding.  This Fairy Martin was a contender for BirdADay, but was deposed by Golden-headed Cisticola as the former is more likely at Mallacoota.
Always nice to see a Black-shouldered Kite
Pied Stilts are not common in Canberra  but seem to have begun nesting in the swamp.
Long-necked Tortoises are common.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.