All happening in Canberra

This weekend there have been at least 4 events going on in Canberra:
In addition to those there has been some interest in looking off our deck, so I'll start there.

This bulldozer is working on a Geocon site across Glebe Park.  It was interesting watching it go up this steep bank.
When I looked at how close the tracks came to the edge I decided that the driver was:
  1. an expert; and
  2. devoid of imagination!
The sun made a pretty pattern with the leafless branches of an oak in Glebe Park.
The tall elm trees in the Park are beginning to show a tinge of green.
Over in Reid some ornamental trees have a nice blast of blossom.
Blossom brings us to Floriade.   On my way to watch the 'bikes the most direct route was through the site so I gritted my teeth and went in.

Compared to the early years there were very few people around.  Notice the big marquees in the background.
 More tents full of retail.  In the early days this entire area below would have been covered with flower beds with raised walkways to let people get a good view of the flowers.
 This was one good bed.
 As we walked past today I glanced at part of the the site and noticed that there were some small beds in trays: think of a small drop-in cricket pitch that hasn't been dropped in!  Probably trying to save money.

Presumably this structure is part of the paid-entrance After Dark "experience" (excuse me barfing).
 The gnomes were OK, but it seemed there were fewer schools particiating
 As I went out I noticed that the Eastern Boundary of the site was about 50m closer to Stage 88 than it has been in the past.  No doubt saving money.

Walking back through after the bike ride  - now that was an experience - there was noise coming from the stage.  And quite a crowd - by this year's standards - watching the dancers performing.
 By the time I had got the camera out the attractive young adult dancers had gone.  Their replacements were only of interest to their parents.
I looked across the Lake at one point to see the Manchurian Pears in front of the High Court and Questacon,
 We walked through them in the morning: much prettier than Floriade.

So was this planter from the NCA!  And for me (or just about anyone else) to say something good about the NCA is almost unprecedented
The final sight was this structure which was the finish of the Canberra 100.  I saw someone finish, which must have been one of the early teams,  The first individual was still about 2 hours from home.
All in all an interesting outing, although as you'll have realised I am very disappointed in the way Floriade is being run down.  My guess is the accommodation industry in Canberra will be grizling more than somewhat.

I realise I have said nothing about the Bookfair.  I personally don't like it as it is too crowded and it's too difficult to find good books.  (I am reluctant to stand still searching and block others: this makes me unique in punters attending.)  I did get get a few volumes in a short visit.   Frances went back on the Sunday and got another heap.  Possibly the front wheels of the Pajero will stay on the ground as we drive back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.