Bastion Point 5 June 2019

I went to Bastion Point today to try to relocate the Gannet's head I found yesterday.  I was unsuccessful in this.  However the sea was attractive with good swells still coming in.
 At the outlet it was obvious there had been some nice water erosion!
 It was quite breezy so many clumps of veg had Red-capped Plovers hiding behind them.
 Others preferred to pose in the shallows.
 A/the White-fronted Tern turned (terned?) up again.  I first picked it was a good bit smaller than the many Crested Terns and had a black bill.  By the time I had got the camera out the sun had gone in and getting a snap was tricky.  So I just banged away relying on post editing to pick it out.  When I did so I found the birds head had joined the sun in going away!  However note (in addition to size):

  • Dark mark on shoulder (red arrow)
  • Short thin legs cf Crested Tern (green arrow); and
  • checked pattern on wings (blue arrow).

There were also a few Double-banded Plovers around.  This is a young bird with the bands still developing.
 An adult in breeding plumage.

 I was surprised to find a small flock of Red-necked Stints.  The Australian Field Guide reveals the first year birds overwinter here,

 I was also pleased to see a Sea Hare very close in,  (It's actually in about 15cm of water and being quite cooperative)

I did a final sweep of the ocean as I got to the stairs and picked up a Black-browed Albatross somewhat out to sea.  Also several Australian Gannets.  My full checklist is here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.