April weather report

An issue during the month was that my weather station ceased reporting rainfall (on the rare occasions when there was some).  After discussion with the importers I returned it to the retailers and persuaded them to replace, rather than repair, it.  This meant I missed 8 hours observations rather than 3 weeks!  Thanks for the understanding Jaycar.  As the weather on the day in question seemed similar to the day before I simply copied the information for the relevant period from one day to the next.

I have checked a few items using the new station and some old analog devices and the information on rainfall and temperatures seems pretty good.

The major story, from my perspective is the low rainfall.  We received 20.5mm (measured using the old plastic gauge) which to my surprise was more than April 2012, and not a huge amount less than the 6 year average.
Noting the seasonal pattern (which has a reasonable(ish) correlation coefficient) I also compile a 12 month moving average.
 The last few entries in this chart clearly show how the wheels have fallen off the Carwoola rainfall in the past few months.

To place the rainfall of Carwoola in context, the next chart compares the City of Shale with the Robbertson (NSW) Pie Shop:
Both lines show periods with little (Robbo) or no (Carwoola) rain with occasional downpours (Robbo) or light showers (Carwoola).  No wonder Denis has rainforest plants in his area!

In terms of temperatures, while we may not yet have got to Winter, I think we can see it from here!
I recorded 8 days with a maximum of 25C or higher and 3 days less than 2C.  That is a frost, since the standard Met screen is 2m above the ground and 2C at that height is equivalent to 0C on the ground.  so +2 to 0 is a ground frost while less than 0 is an air frost.


 Blind Freddy can see that the 'trend' in both temperatures is downwards.  However the day to day variation is such that this is not a statistically significant trend.  To make it significant I suspect I'd have to perform statistical voodoo such as doing a multi-term polynomial of a 10 day moving average of the temperature less Tammies waist size!

Moving right along to Humidity:
This Chart shows two things.  The first of this is confirmation of my earlier realisation that early in the morning the humidity is usually close to 100%!   Secondly note the peak in the 5PM humidity on the rainy days around 18-19th!

I'll conclude this with a couple of sunset shots from 1 May.  

Despite '... red sky at night, shepherds delight .. " we didn't get any rain overnight.  

Comments

Anonymous said…
It was indeed a fabulous sunset on 1 May - I commented it to my son on the phone at the time - lots of bits of cloud turned bright orange
Sandra h
Denis Wilson said…
Hi Martin
Thanks for the link.
I have been very remiss recently is commenting on collegiate Nature Blogs.
For to complete the conversation you started, I recorded the following rainfall figures for the first four months of 2013, 196mm, 270mm, 124.5mm, 159.25mm - a total of 749.75m. That is well above the long-term average for Robertson of 654.8mm for those four months. But March is historically, our wettest month, and this year, with 124.5mm it was well under the long-term statistical average figure of 188mm.
Now what were you saying about rainfall?
Here's me complaining about a dry March and April.
The migratory Honeyeaters are loving the clear skies as they pass by.
And the Robertson resident humans are scratching their heads, as they sip their Double-shot coffees in balmy sunshine, outside the local Cafe Pirouette.

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.