COG does Michelago and Bredbo

The Canberra Ornithologists Group did a longer Wednesday Walk today, heading South down the Monaro Highway.  We stopped first at a private property (Illilanga) a few kilometres South of Michelago and after an excellent visit there, went for further excellent time at the Strike-a-light TSR on the Bredbo-Jerangle Road.  As I didn't remember to take a notepad or a pen with me this is basically a few highlights from memory and my photos.

We chose this month as the first property has a lot of orchids but due to the weather they were not yet out. There were a bunch of other very attractive flowers out but since this was primarily a bird-based outing the birds get first priority.  A broader note of the birding highlights was given on the COG Chatline by Sandra, who as usual was more organised than myself!

There were a lot of Dusky Woodswallows around early in the outing, one of which performed a very unusual fluttering wing display.
Without the benefit of HANZAB we only wondered if this was a pre-copulatory display.  After a short flight any doubt on this matter was resolved satisfactorily in the positive, and a breeding record noted.  (HANZAB subsequently confirms this as known behaviour.)

Soon after arriving at the second locale the calls of Rainbow Bee-eater were heard.  We noted that the banks of Strike-a-light (sorry to the hyphen police if  have got that wrong) Creek were good nesting sites for this species.  Then we saw the birds perched on a dead twig above the Creek


Too many images of bee-eaters are never enough!  I would take a punt, based on the design of the tail streamers, that the upper bird is a male and the lower a female.

As we headed back towards the cars some of the group had seen a Hooded Robin, and I went in search thereof.  I failed in that regard, but did find a Diamond Firetail nicely posed.
 Moving a little back from birds gets one to reptiles.  This Jacky Lizard (look on top of the branch) was taking lessons from the Woodswallows in display behaviour.
We now jump a few Kingdoms to Plantae.  The following were the ones I liked the best at Illilanga.

The bulbine lilies (Bulbine bulbosa) were just getting into flower.
Their bulkier cousin, rock lilies (Bulbine glauca), were in profusion - this was particularly exciting as I had never seen these until last week's ANPS walk to Cavan TSR.
 The eagle eyes of Jeremy - one of the owners of Illilanga - nailed some mini-chocolate lilies (Arthopodium minus)
 Swainsona sericea were everywhere. But I had never seen them before.
 The final goodie was the blossoming of the Wahlenbergia sp (Australian bluebell)
 Those with very good eyesight will pick up an insect on the petal at 8 o'clock.  I only realised it was there when looking at the image on my computer!  A few dragonflies were also seen as was a single Grapevine Moth, (Phalaenoides glycinae) recently discussed on The Nature of Robertson.  (This was some kilometres from the nearest grapevines so supports my view that these insects are endemic and the grapevines mere parvenus) As expected by me, the beast did not pose at all for a photo to be taken!

Comments

Denis Wilson said…
Hi Martin
Nice report.
At the risk of being seen to point out the obvious, your Wahlenbergia is being steadily devoured by a Case Moth Larva.
I only know that because I saw the same thing on a Diuris chryseopsis a few days ago. The whole structure moved while I was watching it, and also the flower (the one I was photographing) was badly damaged - so that helped me realise why.
Wahlenbergias normally have a clean flower with a prominent style in the centre.
Shame you missed photographing the Grapevine Moth, but at least you now know what you were looking at.
Grapevine Moths do not form "cases" - they're mostly in the Psychidae family, I believe.
I haven't published my photos yet, as I am awaiting further advice on how to identify the beastie.
Denis

Popular posts from this blog

A tour of the West (part 1)

Insects from pine trees

Satin Bowerbird gets ready for Lanigans Ball.